I decided to find some really early photography and see what I could do. I started by removing some of the damaged areas. I avoid it on the edges since its such an important part of the character of daguerreotype but the spots on his face needed out. Some of the scratches down on his chest needed out too.
I'd compare this to working as a makeup artist. I use a lot of referance photos to look up tonal changes in the skin and try to get it right. Its a lot of layers to get a face right. The more faces, the more work involved. Clothes and backgrounds factor in as well. Its more work than the simple dye painting process of the past, but the results are quite phenominal.
My freind Joel came to me with this one back in 2008. He said his parents only had one photo from their wedding but it was a small 3x5. He'd seen some of the work I'd done in photoshop and asked if it'd be possible to blow up the picture and fix the color. We scanned it in at high resolution, fixed the scratches and color and printed out a 24x34inch for display in their home!